It’s December 23, and as Seinfeld fans everywhere know, today is Festivus! That means airing of grievances, feats of strength, setting up a metal pole, and even Festivus miracles…Festivus is all too real!
For the uninitiated, here’s a short summary of the holiday:
Yes, people everywhere pour into the streets and bars to perform heroic acts of strength, to loudly complain, and to jubilantly celebrate the day! Even Orlando-based AirTran got into the mood by offering their “Don’t be distracted by Tinsel, Celebrate Festivus with AirTran.” (Unfortunately, their celebration ran from December 1-12, missing the actual holiday by quite a bit, but they still get kudos for effort.)
Fortunately for the rest of us, Festivus is alive and well in the rest of Orlando with a few observances around town (Or you can have your own!):
- Head to the Festivus for the Rest of Us festival at Orlando Tastings Wine Bar
- Try the Festivus Holiday Party at Graffiti Junktion, Thornton Park
- Demand that Ben & Jerry bring back their Festivus flavored ice cream (an ice cream for the rest of us) at your favorite stores around town
- Order this special Festivus pin
- Perform a feat of strength (don’t get hurt, though)
- Gripe and complain to air your grievances
- Dance around a metal pole (Hmmm… that sounds a bit risqué!)
- Hope for a Festivus miracle
So, friends, happy Festivus for the Rest of Us! Enjoy the day!